HAZING POLICY OF PHI RHO SIGMA MEDICAL SOCIETY
No chapter, colony, student or alumnus shall conduct nor condone hazing activities. Hazing activities are defined as: "Any action taken or situation created, intentionally, whether on or off society premises, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment. or ridicule. Such activities may include but are not limited to the following: inappropriate use of alcohol; paddling in any form; creation of excessive fatigue; physical and psychological shocks or abuse: treasure hunts; scavenger hunts; road trips; or any other such activities carried on outside or the inside of the confines of the chapter house; wearing of public apparel which is conspicuous and not normally in good taste; engaging in public stunts and buffoonery; morally degrading or humiliating games and activities; and any other activities which are not consistent with academic achievement, society by-laws, ritual or policy or the regulations and policies of the educational institution, or applicable state law."
ALCOHOL AND DRUG EDUCATION POLICY OF PHI RHO SIGMA MEDICAL SOCIETY
1. The possession, use, consumption or serving of alcoholic beverages by the society shall be in accordance with all applicable local, province, state and federal laws. Each chapter shall abide by the rules of its host university or college.
2. No chapter of Phi Rho Sigma Medical Society may purchase alcoholic beverages with chapter funds, nor may any member, in the name of or on behalf of the chapter, coordinate the collection or provide any funds for such a purchase. this includes, but is not limited to, the purchase of kegs, party balls, and other bulk quantities of alcoholic beverages.
3. The direct or indirect sales of alcoholic beverages by any chapters of Phi Rho Sigma Medical Society is strictly forbidden. No chapter shall participate in any activity or action that creates the impression that the chapter is selling alcohol. such examples would include but are not limited to, charging admission to parties, passing the hat, selling empty cups, selling drink tickets, or providing vending machines which dispense alcoholic beverages.
4. The use or possession any unlawful drug in any form is not permitted at any Phi Rho Sigma function or at any Phi Rho chapter house.
5. Parties and social activities should be open to members and invited guests only. Open parties, meaning those with unrestricted access by non-members of the Society, without specific invitation, are strongly discouraged by Phi Rho Sigma Medical Society.
6. All recruitment functions and rush activities associated with, or sponsored by, any chapter of Phi Rho Sigma Medical Society will be dry; that is without the presence of alcoholic beverages.
7. No member of the Society shall purchase for, serve to or otherwise facilitate the consumption of and alcoholic beverage for any person under the legal drinking age.
8. Phi Rho Sigma Medical society considers the misuse of alcohol as a serious medical issue. Members of Phi Rho, as physicians and physicians in training, are reminded of the example we provide to our patients, colleagues and associates with our use of alcoholic beverages, The day-to-day responsibility of the enforcement of this policy rests with the members and chapters. Phi Rho Sigma calls on each member to abide by and to enforce this policy.
Click here for a printable version